The libertas driver made its debut in the OLPC XO laptop, where it drives a Marvell 88W83886 USB device. In addition to the USB front-end, the driver now includes support for CompactFlash, SDIO, and GSPI interfaces.
- Marvell 88W8385 CF/SDIO
- Marvell 88W8388 USB
- Marvell 88W8686 SDIO/GSPI
AmbiCom WL54CF (CF)
- SparkLAN WCFM-100 (CF)
- Pretec CompactWLAN 802.11g CFEWGS
- prototype boards
- OLPC laptop
- station (with limited roaming support)
- Mesh on USB devices (802.11s like)
- Mainly interesting for developers, it allows to switch various debug messages on and of.
- Can extract a firmware out of a binary file.
You can get the source of the tools via
git clone git://git.infradead.org/users/schurig/libertas-tools.git tools
All devices need firmware.
Download the latest image from OLPC's libertas firmware page and rename it usb8388.bin, then place it in /lib/firmware/ and be happy.
Get the libertas-tools from above and change into the fwcutter/ directory. Type make. The makefile will download a binary driver, extract the firmware out of it, checks it. Copy the two firmware files libertas_helper.fw and libertas.fw from the fwcutter/ directory into the /lib/firmware/ directory.
- Claud Yu got the driver working, using a firmware 8.73.7.p3 (downloaded from marvell.com). The 9.70.3.p18 firmware doesn't support the CMD_802_11_DATA_RATE command that the libertas driver currently needs.
The GSPI firmware (version 9.70.3p37) will be available for download from marvell.com, otherwise you can get it here if it is not yet listed there. Copy spi8686_helper.bin to /lib/firmware/libertas/gspi8686_hlp.bin and spi8686.bin to /lib/firmware/libertas/gspi8686.bin.
using the GSPI device
GSPI devices are intended to be used in embedded systems. You must build your kernel with CONFIG_GENERIC_GPIO enabled to use the libertas_spi driver. Add the libertas_spi device to the SPI device tree in your arch/xxx/mach-xxx/boards/xxx.c – that file should include <linux/spi/libertas_spi.h> and define libertas_spi_platform_data. The SPI .bits_per_word should be set to 16 and .mode left at the default.
Some developers and users might be reachable in #libertas on *.freenode.net, see http://freenode.net/irc_servers.shtml to find a IRC node near you.