otus is an Atheros IEEE 802.11n USB Linux "vendor" driver, licensed under the ISC. This driver was used as base to write a new driver based on mac80211, ar9170, which is now upstream. ar9170 still lacks 11n support so you will want to use this driver if you want 11n support until ar9170 matures.
This driver used to be merged into the Linux kernel under the staging area butthe Otus driver was deleted off of the kernel tree : http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=cff55f50b882b197a52c4cf0108a43c615d1fdba since we have a better replacement. For those still looking for permissive licensed Otus driver code you can find here:
But note that this code had a dependency on a version of wpa_supplicant as documented below.
Atheros 802.11n hardware:
- UB81 - 2x2 2.4 GHz
- UB82 - 2x2 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz
- UB83 - 1x2 2.4 GHz
All of these devices are AR9170.
Products in the market
- WNDA3100 (Dual Band, USB ID 0846:9010, FCC ID PY307300073)
- WN111v2 (USB ID 0846:9001)
- FRITZ!WLAN N USB Stick (USB ID 0x57c, 0x8401) - currently not running with the driver (see mailing list).
- Kernel 2.4 - 2.6
- openssl-dev package.
Our otus mailing list for this driver is:
Get the code
You can get the code here
wpa_supplicant otus driver
This driver requires its own supplicant driver for wpa_supplicant 0.4.8. For your convenience you can find the tarball here:
- IEEE standard compliance
- IEEE 802.11a/b/g
- IEEE 802.11h, 802.11d
- IEEE 80211i
- IEEE Draft 2.0 802.11n
- Ad Hoc
- join (2.4GHz, 5GHz if SKU allows)
- create (2.4GHz , 5GHz if SKU allows)
- Adhoc security: WEP
- Security: WPA/WPA2 (Personal / Enterprise)