p54 is a driver for Intersil's Prism54 chips series. It supports both older full-MAC devices (with new soft-MAC firmware) and newer soft-MAC devices. It is included in the Linux kernel.
Before you can use the hardware, you have to get the the right firmware.
- ISL3877, ISL3880, ISL3890 and ISL3886 (miniPCI)
ISL3886 + net2280 (USB, 1st generation with net2280 usb<->pci bridge)
- ISL3887 (USB, 2nd generation, native USB interface)
For a complete listing of supported products, see the device list.
- There are several different firmwares for different hardware. so you have to pick the right one, download, rename and put it into the right place... Normally this should be /lib/firmware. However some distributions put firmware in a different place.
miniPCI / PCMCIA don't forget to rename it: isl3886
USB 1st generation (ISL3886 + net2280) rename it to: isl3890usb
USB 2nd generation (ISL3887) rename it to: isl3887usb_bare
- Station Mode
- WMM/WME/802.11e (QoS)
- Full Monitor Mode
- 5GHz PHY
not working yet
- hardware en-/decryption
- AP / Ad-Hoc (IBSS) and MESH (experimental patches available)
- NITRO / Frameburst
- LMAC Terminal
- Powersave Features
- Conexant's cx3110x / stlc45xx (shmem/SPI-Interface)
- FreeMAC Firmware
To enable p54, you must first enable mac80211:
Networking ---> Wireless ---> <M> Improved wireless configuration API <M> Generic IEEE 802.11 Networking Stack (mac80211)
You can then enable p54 in the kernel configuration under
Device Drivers ---> [*] Network device support ---> Wireless LAN ---> [*] Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11) <M> Softmac Prism54 support <M> Prism54 USB support <M> Prism54 PCI support